Imported Segway from UK

English-speaking community on www.segforum.de for Segway owners & enthusiasts
Antworten
ojflewis

Imported Segway from UK

Beitrag von ojflewis »

Sorry for posting in English, but I guess that's why this part of the forum is here. I moved to Germany a couple of years ago and brought my Segway (i2) with me from England. I finally got around to going to a dealership to ask if they could recommend how to get insurance etc... Instead they told me it would be impossible to get my Segway registered (zugelassen) as I had not bought it from Segway Deutschland. I'm used to this kind of misinformation, which is how I ended up here.

I have read all the threads about tüv testing and costs and police checks but I haven't been able to find a simple summary of how to adapt my Segway to pass the technical checks. Is there a document somewhere that explains about lights, reflectors and anything else I need? A German version is fine - I understand fine but don't write well.

As I understand it, I need the zulassung first, then I can get insurance. Any advice is very welcome. I'm in Bavaria, if that affects the tüv part.

Many thanks

Oliver
derlo

Beitrag von derlo »

Hi Oliver,
I imported a Segway from Austria, maybe I can help you:
- first step is to get Insurance (you need this for the TüV), there are only a few insurance companies which know how th handle a Segway (Zurich, HUK Coburg, ...?), you will need the serial number of your segway and you get your license plate
- then you can go to the TüV, I think its better to call the TüV in advance and clarify what they expect. If they don't know about Segways, try another TüV nearby, maybe people here can help you to find one
- you will most probably need a lot of light installed :-)
- perhaps you will need the EMV certificate for the TüV, you can get this from Segway Germany (will cost you :-(
- The last step is to get the "Zulassung", this is just stamping the TüV certificate at the "kfz-Zulassungsbehörde" , I had difficulties with this because they wanted something to proof that my Segway is not registered somewhere else (Segway Germany could help me)

Good luck for you
Karsten
ojflewis

Beitrag von ojflewis »

Thanks Karsten. I bumped into a Segway tour here in Munich and the owner / guide offered to sell me a collar which they put on their Segways which holds the lights and the reflectors. I will ask him which Tuv he went to, in the hope they will be familiar with the requirements (will call them first anyway, as you suggest).
derlo

Beitrag von derlo »

Hi Oliver,
if you are in Munich I can give you the phone number for the TÜV, I was in Munich too (and had the already told problems at the "Kfz Zulassungsstelle")

Best regards
Antworten